Welcome to your next go-to weeknight dinner side dish: crispy, sweet, and savory air fryer butternut squash. It’s not only incredibly easy to whip up but adds a touch of fall to any meal.
Here's to embracing the squash season in the best way possible. This easy air fryer recipe is bound to become one of your favorite recipes, perfect for weeknight dinners or as a perfect Thanksgiving side dish.
⭐ Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Quick and Easy: With a preparation time of just a few minutes, you can have this squash roasted and ready in a half an hour, thanks to the magic of the air fryer.
- Healthy and Nutritious: Butternut squash is packed with Vitamin C and other nutrients making it a healthy choice for your plate!
- Versatile: This can be a great side dish for any main course or even be the star of your Thanksgiving dinner table.
- Full of Flavor: The combination of high temperature and the air fryer basket ensures a crispy roasted squash with a delightful texture.
🍴 Ingredients & Equipment
- Butternut Squash: A medium butternut squash will do. This winter squash brings a sweet flavor and a vibrant touch to our dish.
- Olive Oil: A brush of extra virgin olive oil not only adds to the flavor but ensures the squash gets that desired crispy edge.
- Salt and Pepper: Optional, but highly recommended! The seasoning helps to accentuate the natural flavors of the squash and give it that savory touch if desired!
- Air Fryer: For this recipe, an air fryer is an absolute game-changer. It's ability to achieve crispy perfection without deep-frying is incredible! You get delectable results with a fraction of the oil, making every bite both delightful and guilt-free.
📖 Step-by-Step Instructions
Preparation: Start by slicing your butternut squash using a sharp knife.Then, using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and scrape out the insides of the squash till clean and smooth.
Air Fry: Preheat your air fryer to 390 degrees F. Once heated, place the squash in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook in batches to avoid overcrowding.
Checking Doneness: The squash is ready when it’s fork-tender. Remove from the air fryer and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Storage: If you have leftover squash, store it in an airtight container. It can be reheated in the air fryer or used in recipes like butternut squash soup!
👩🏻🍳 Expert Tips
- Size of your Squash: Always ensure the whole butternut squash can fit in your air fryer basket without being too cramped! If necessary, choose a smaller squash or a medium butternut squash.
- Enhance the Flavor: For an added depth of flavor, try brushing the squash with a mix of olive oil, maple syrup, or brown sugar before roasting.
- Storage: If you have leftover squash, store it in an airtight container. It can be reheated in the air fryer or used in recipes like butternut squash soup!
- Skin On or Off: Roasting the butternut with the skin on not only saves time but also adds a delightful texture to the dish. However, if preferred, you can peel the skin using a sharp vegetable peeler.
💭 Recipe FAQs
Absolutely! Avocado oil is a great high-temperature alternative and can give a slightly different flavor profile.
It’s all about the size of your squash. No matter the size of your butternut, aiming for a medium sized squash will ensure even cooking.
Definitely! Air-fried butternut adds a rich, roasted flavor to butternut squash soup, butternut squash gnocchi and other savory delights!
If you try the recipe for this Air Fryer Butternut Squash, please leave a 🌟 review and share your creation with me on social media! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube and Pinterest - for more delicious recipes sent straight to your inbox, sign up for my newsletter! 📧
Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Fork & Spoon
- Air Tight Container
- 1 Butternut Squash, whole
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Begin by washing the whole butternut squash. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and innards using a spoon.1 Butternut Squash
- Lightly brush the cut sides of the squash with olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper if desired.1 Tablespoon Olive oil, Salt & Pepper
- Preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees F. Place the whole butternut squash in the air fryer basket, ensuring it fits comfortably.
- Let the squash air fry for about 30 minutes, depending on the size of your butternut. Halfway through the cooking time, turn the squash to ensure even roasting.
- The squash is ready when it’s fork-tender. Remove from the air fryer and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.