Are you craving a tasty snack? Look no further than this easy-to-follow guide on How to Make Frozen Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer. With delectably crispy exteriors and soft, fluffy interiors, these air fryer frozen sweet potato fries will quickly become your go-to treat. Best of all, they're made with just 2 simple ingredients in about 10 minutes!
⭐ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
When it comes to snack time, Calvin and I don’t mess around. We’re all about brown butter popcorn for movie night, juicy Tajin fruit skewers for cookouts, million dollar deviled eggs for dinner parties, and briny blue cheese olives for happy hour.
There are times, though, when nothing will do except a big ol’ basket of fries and a side of dipping sauce so tasty we lick the bowl when no one is looking. I know at least some of you out there know what I’m talking about!
Making these sweet potato fries air fryer-style doesn’t just yield some of the best-tasting orange spuds you’ve ever tried. This recipe ALSO happens to be:
- Wholesome & Nutritious. These frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer are not only a healthier alternative to deep-fried fast food versions, but they're also super easy to make.
- Quick, Easy, & SO SIMPLE. All you need are two simple ingredients, an air fryer, and about 10 minutes. No deep frying needed and you've made an easy snack in moments.
- Budget-Friendly. Making your own crispy air fryer Alexia sweet potato fries is cheaper than even the most affordable drive-thru options.
Say goodbye to greasy fast food and hello to your new favorite snack!
As promised, you only need TWO ingredients to make the best frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer. Here’s what to grab at the grocery store:
- Sweet Potato Fries - I designed this recipe for making Alexia brand sweet potato fries in the air fryer, though it works well with your favorite brand of frozen fries. If you're unable to find frozen sweet potato fries, you can easily substitute frozen sweet potato wedges or make your own from scratch using fresh sweet potatoes.
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray - I love using cooking spray to reduce the amount of oil I use and to keep cleanup extra easy. Feel free to swap in the neutral-flavored oil of your choice.
⏲️ Substitutions & Variations
To customize your air fryer frozen sweet potato fries, consider adding your favorite seasoning blends or creating a delectable dipping sauce. Some popular options include:
- Garlic & Herb - Mix up a tasty blend of garlic powder, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, onion powder and maybe a touch of parmesan for some seriously sophisticated fry action.
- Smoked Paprika & Cayenne - If you like smoky, spicy flavors, you're gonna flip for this zippy combo.
- Cinnamon Sugar - Trying to combat your sweet tooth? Give your sweet potato fries an extra dose of sweetness with a hint of warming spice.
- Lemon Herb Tahini Dipping Sauce - When it comes to dips, this citrusy-toasty-herby blend just might be my favorite simple recipe. Use your favorite dipping sauce as a great side!
📖 Step by Step Instructions
Learning how to air fry frozen sweet potato fries is quite simple. Here’s how it’s done:
Step 1: Preheat the air fryer & spray the preheated air fryer basket with cooking spray, and pour in a single layer of frozen sweet potato fries.
Step 2: Air Fry & Shake. Set the timer for 12 minutes, giving the basket of fries a good shake at the 9, 6, and 3-minute mark for even browning.
Step 3: Serve. Remove the air-fried sweet potato fries and place them in a serving bowl to enjoy with the sauces and dips of your choosing! (I added the herbed lemon tahini dip here - it's a great option!)
👩🏻🍳 Expert Tips
- Use a high-quality cooking spray. Avoid using cooking sprays that contain propellants or chemicals, as they may damage the non-stick coating of your air fryer basket. It's also essential to check the manufacturer's instructions for your specific air fryer model to ensure compatibility with the recommended sprays.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer basket! In order to achieve drive-thru-level crispy perfection, make sure you’re cooking only a single layer of fries at a time with no overlap. Depending on the size of your air fryer and how hungry you are, this might mean you need to make several batches.
- Shake the basket several times during the cooking process to ensure the fries cook evenly. I like to give it a shake every 3 minutes. You can use your trusty air fryer to make Air Fried Garlic, Air Fryer Butternut Squash, and Air fryer cauliflower bites as well!
- Use this recipe as a basic template. Adjust the cook time as needed, depending on the thickness and brand of the fries, if you're using waffle fries, as well as your personal preferred level of crispness.
- Serve with your favorite sauce: Serve your delicious fries hot from the fryer with a delicious dipping sauce like my lemon herb tahini for a Mediterranean flair, or go for tried-and-true favorites like comeback sauce, BBQ sauce, honey mustard, or ketchup.
❄️ Storage Instructions
Leftover sweet potato fries? While crispy sweet potato fries are definitely best straight from the air fryer for best results, my eyes are sometimes bigger than my stomach. To store leftover fries, let them cool completely before transferring them to an airtight container.
They should keep well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the fries back in the air fryer at 400°F (200°C) for 3-5 minutes, or until warmed through and crispy enough for your liking.
💭 Recipe FAQs
While taste is totally subjective, I find that 12 minutes is the perfect amount of time to air fry Alexia sweet potato fries. Note that the thickness of your fries and your preferred level of crispiness will determine how long to cook them. This quick side dish can be tailored to your preference!
When it comes to using cooking spray in an air fryer, it's essential to choose one that can handle high heat and doesn't contain harmful chemicals or propellants that can damage your equipment. Here are some of the best cooking sprays I've found:
Pure Oil Sprays: Look for cooking sprays made from pure oils, such as avocado oil, coconut oil, or olive oil. These sprays can handle high heat and don't contain any additives or artificial ingredients. Examples include Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Spray and Bertolli 100% Extra Light Olive Oil Spray.
Non-Aerosol Oil Sprays: Non-aerosol oil sprays are an eco-friendly and healthy option for air frying. They typically use a pump mechanism, which eliminates the need for propellants or chemicals found in traditional aerosol sprays. You can even purchase a reusable non-aerosol oil sprayer and fill it with your preferred oil, making it a double win for the environment!
Ghee or Clarified Butter Sprays: Ghee or clarified butter sprays, such as 4th & Heart Ghee Oil Spray, offer a high smoke point and rich, buttery flavor. They are also suitable for those with lactose intolerance or following a paleo or keto diet.
If you try this recipe for Sweet Potato Fries, please leave a 🌟 review and share your creation with me on social media! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube and Pinterest - for more delicious recipes sent straight to your inbox, sign up for my newsletter! 📧
Frozen Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer
- Tongs or spatula
- Large bowl or tray (for tossing with any seasoning you like)
- Cooking Spray
- 20 oz Bag of Frozen Sweet Potatoes, or the brand of your choosing
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F
- Spray the preheated air fryer basket with cooking spray, and pour in a layer of frozen sweet potato fries.Cooking Spray, 20 oz Bag of Frozen Sweet Potatoes
- Set the timer for 12 minutes, giving the basket of fries a good shake at the 9, 6 and 3 minute mark for even browning.
- Remove the air fried sweet potato fries and place them in a serving bowl to enjoy with the sauces and dips of your choosing! (I added the herbed lemon tahini dip here!)