Treat your inner child with this Sourdough Grilled Cheese! This upgraded version of the nostalgic sandwich features a blend of rich cheeses between two slices of buttery sourdough. Perfect for snacks, lunch, and dinner.
⭐ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Look no further if you’re looking for a way to put a sophisticated spin on a childhood classic - a gourmet grilled cheese. This Sourdough Grilled Cheese showcases layers of creamy and comforting melted cheeses between sturdy, perfectly toasted slices of tangy homemade sourdough bread.
You may be thinking that grilled cheese recipes are pretty basic and easy to follow. That is true, but this elevated sourdough version is way above the rest thanks to homemade bread and high quality cheeses. Follow along for the best cheeses to use, as well as a few extra customizations to really take this sandwich to the next level.
🍞 The best bread for grilled cheese
Sourdough is truly the best bread for grilled cheese sandwiches because of its thick, dense, and sturdy texture. It can withstand the weight of layers of fillings, including veggies, fruit, meat, and flavor-enhancing spreads. Not to mention its soft and tangy flavor makes it the perfect match for gooey gouda, sharp cheddar, and melted shredded cheese!
- Sourdough bread - I highly recommend making this ultimate gourmet grilled cheese with bread slices from sourdough made from scratch. Otherwise, use a storebought tangy sourdough bread loaf with a thick crust and soft center. For more tips on how to store sourdough bread, head over to my in-depth guide!
- Unsalted butter - Make sure it’s softened before getting started.
- Cheese slices - I like using a combination of sliced gouda and cheddar cheese, but you can swap in any of your favorites. Remember to pay attention to the type of cheese: use a high quality, high moisture sliced cheese that will melt effortlessly, a necessity for a slice of great grilled cheese. Monterey Jack, pepper jack or american cheese are all options as well for a melty cheese sandwich.
- Shredded cheese - A combination of sliced and shredded cheese is key to creating a perfectly creamy and gooey consistency. I used a three-cheese shredded cheese blend.
- Flaky sea salt - Just a pinch to wake up every cheesy, buttery, and tangy flavor.
📖 Step by Step Instructions
Make this best ever grilled cheese in a well-seasoned cast iron skillet or non-stick pan. The process is easy:
Step 1: Start with the butter. Spread the softened butter on one side of each slice of bread.
Step 2: Assemble the grilled cheese. Lay the cheese slices and shredded cheese on the non-buttered side of one piece of bread, then place the other slice of bread on top.
Step 3: Pan-fry the grilled cheese. Add the sandwich to a large skillet or cast iron pan. Cover with a lid and cook on medium-low heat until the bottom slice of bread is lightly browned and the cheese is beginning to melt. Medium heat is too high here, make sure your hot skillet doesn't get too hot. Flip to the second side, then cover again and cook until the cheese is melted and the bottom slice has a golden brown exterior.
Step 4: Slice and serve! With your spatula, remove the hot sandwich and cut it in half with a serrated knife before serving. Sprinkle flaky sea salt over top, and enjoy!
👩🏻🍳 Expert Tips
- Cut your bread into half-inch thick slices - If sliced thicker, the bread may brown before the cheese melts.
- No butter? Use mayo - It may seem strange, but mayonnaise magically creates a gorgeously golden and crispy exterior.
- Don’t let your pan get too hot! Pan-frying grilled cheese over low heat gives the cheese plenty of time to melt without burning the bread. 2 to 4 minutes per side will do the trick.
- Cover the pan - Putting on a lid on your skillet traps the heat, giving the cheese a chance to melt immediately and create that classic cheesy pull.
❓ What else can you put on grilled cheese?
Put your own spin on this sourdough bread grilled cheese! You’ll love these delicious upgrades:
- Cheese - In addition to cheddar, gouda, and shredded 3-cheese blend, try this sourdough grilled cheese recipe with American, provolone, gruyere, Havarti, Colby Jack, swiss cheese or fontina cheese or soft cheeses like goat cheese, brie or Camembert. You could even try Boursin Cheese, a deliciously soft herbed cheese that is a delight in Creamy Mac & Cheese as well!
- Vegetables, Fruit & Herbs - Add in fresh veggies like juicy sliced tomato, green onions, baby spinach, arugula, jalapenos, sauteed caramelized onions, or cooked mushrooms. Recently I added pears to my grilled cheese and it was divine. Another option, adding a compound butter made with fresh thyme to the outside of your sandwich before grilling to a golden exterior! The ultimate comfort food.
- Meat - Layer crispy bacon, prosciutto, or cold cuts (like salami, turkey, bologna, and ham) into the sandwich.
- Seafood - Melted cheddar with bite-size blackened shrimp or cooked lump crab meat is a lovely combination.
- Sauces - Add more refined flavor with Dijon mustard, thousand island dressing, garlic aioli, or fresh pesto.
- Bread - Instead of sourdough, try my garlic sourdough bread, homemade sourdough focaccia, regular focaccia bread, or brioche bread. The perfect bread choice lends to an ultra classic comfort food.
💭 Recipe FAQs
Make it a meal and serve your sourdough grilled cheese alongside hot bowl of tomato soup, simple salad, or this roasted cauliflower soup.
Leftovers? Skip the microwave unless you like soggy grilled cheese. Instead, wrap your leftover grilled cheese in a loose layer of foil, place it on a baking sheet, and reheat in a 325ºF oven for 15 to 20 minutes. A toaster oven or air fryer also works and will allow for a delicious taste!
More Great Sourdough Recipes
If you try this recipe for Sourdough Grilled Cheese, please leave a 🌟 review and share your creation with me on social media! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube and Pinterest - for more delicious recipes sent straight to your inbox, sign up for my newsletter! 📧
Sourdough Grilled Cheese
- 2 Slices Sourdough Bread
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 2 slices Cheddar Cheese
- 2 slices Gouda Cheese
- ¼ cup Shredded 3 Cheese blend
- Flakey Sea Salt
- Spread softened unsalted butter on one side of each slice of bread2 Slices Sourdough Bread, 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- Place your fry pan or cast iron skillet on the stove over medium-low heat.
- While your pan starts to heat, layer your various cheeses on top of the non-buttered side of one sourdough slice. Place the other sourdough slice on top, with the buttered side of the bread facing up.2 slices Cheddar Cheese, 2 slices Gouda Cheese, ¼ cup Shredded 3 Cheese blend
- Place your sandwich onto the now warmed pan and cook on medium-low with the cover on the pan allowing the cheese to melt while the bread starts to fry to a golden brown.
- Once golden brown, flip over the sandwich and place on the cover again. Continue to cook for an additional few minutes until both sides are golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Remove the sandwich from the pan and cut in half before serving.Flakey Sea Salt
- What goes well with grilled cheese sandwiches? Make it a meal and serve your sourdough grilled cheese alongside hot tomato soup, simple salad, or this roasted cauliflower soup.
- What’s the best way to reheat grilled cheese? Skip the microwave unless you like soggy grilled cheese. Instead, wrap your leftover grilled cheese in a loose layer of foil, place it on a baking sheet, and reheat in a 325ºF oven for 15 to 20 minutes. A toaster oven or air fryer also works!