Almond Butter Cookies Drizzled with Chocolate and Topped with Almond Slivers - made with Crisco Butter Flavor Shortening! These cookies are the perfect addition to your cookie platter this holiday season as they’re packed with flavor and texture galore. The base is an Almond Butter Cookie made with Crisco Shortening, then added layers of melted dark chocolate, sliced almonds, and finally a dusting of flakey sea salt.
⭐ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
It doesn’t get much simpler when it comes to making homemade cookies than this easy recipe. Just as decadent and rich as a classic shortbread, this nut butter variation is packed with flavor to elevate each bite. These chocolate almond butter cookies topped with Sliced Almonds are perfect for enjoying during the winter season, or year round!
Pack a cookie tin with your decorated Almond Butter cookies along with my Rosemary Shortbread, Peanut Butter Cookies, Mini M&M Chewy Cookies, and Salted Caramel Buttercream Macarons. Then serve with some Mulled Wine - this platter is sure to impress!
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Crisco, All butter flavoring shortening
- Brown Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- Almond Butter
- Vanilla Extract
- Almond Flour
- Dark Chocolate
- Sliced Almonds
- Flakey Sea Salt
📖 Step by Step Instructions
- Add the all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and almond flour into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Add the shortening and sugars into a mixing bowl and mix for 2-3 minutes on medium speed with a hand mixer. Add the wet ingredients (large egg and vanilla extract), beating until combined before continuing.
- Stir almond butter until incorporated, then add the dry ingredients in two stages, mixing until completely combined.
- Roll out the whole batch of dough between two pieces of parchment paper and cut out your cookie shapes using the cookie cutters of your choosing! Then place on a prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake cookies for 10-12 minutes.
- The edges of the cookies will be lightly browned - pull the cookie sheet out of the oven. After 2-3 minutes, move the cookies onto a wire rack until cooled.
- Drizzle melted chocolate on the cooled cookies, add sliced almonds, melted chocolate and finally a touch of flakey sea salt before enjoying these almond chocolate cookies!
📏 Tips for Accurate Measuring
When it comes to the science of baking, it is imperative that you’re measuring your ingredients as precisely and accurately as possible. This is why I highly recommend that you invest in a kitchen scale! Dry ingredients in particular can vary widely in terms of weight vs. volume depending on how you measure them. Using a scale will also save you time; cut back on cleanup; and will allow for more consistent baking success - a total win!
🧈 The Importance of Room Temperature Ingredients
In order to properly mix, cream or emulsify ingredients they need to be incorporated at room temperature unless stated otherwise. Adding cold ingredients can create a lumpy or curdled dough instead of a dough that is luxuriously velvety, light and fluffy.
If you haven't remembered to remove your ingredients from the fridge a few hours before baking, there is a shortcut that will help to bring ingredients to room temperature quickly!
Room Temperature Eggs: I like to cover my cold whole eggs with warm water for a few minutes before baking with them - after 3-5 minutes in warm water they will reach room temperature.
*This post has been sponsored by Crisco. All thoughts and opinions are my own - thanks for reading and supporting the blog by enjoying this recipe!!
❄️ How to Freeze Cookie Dough
Instead of baking all your cookies all at once, I prefer to keep the scooped dough wrapped in the freezer. Then, when you get another craving, pull a few out and bake them fresh!
Place stamped or cut cookies on a small baking sheet or plate lined with parchment paper. Wrap with plastic, then place in the freezer for thirty minutes.
This process allows the cookies to firm up a bit before placing frozen cookies into a ziplock bag and storing them in the freezer. Freezing the cookies separately for thirty minutes will prevent them from sticking together in the ziplock.
🔥 Baking Frozen Cookie Dough
The next time you have a craving for a freshly baked cookie, simply remove the cookie from the freezer and bake! It may take you a few extra minutes to bake as they are frozen so keep this in mind as you set your timer.
Additional Cookie Recipes to Try
If you try this recipe for Almond Butter Cookies, please leave a 🌟 review and share your creation with me on social media! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube and Pinterest - for more delicious recipes sent straight to your inbox, sign up for my newsletter! 📧
Almond Butter Cookies with Chocolate
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 Tablespoons 1 stick Crisco, All butter flavoring shortening
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup almond butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup dark chocolate, melted
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Flakey Sea Salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and almond flour into a medium bowl and set aside.1 cup flour, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ cup almond flour
- Add the shortening and sugars into a bowl and mix for 2-3 minutes on medium speed. Add the egg and vanilla extract, beating until combined before continuing.8 Tablespoons 1 stick Crisco, All butter flavoring shortening, ½ cup brown sugar, ½ cup granulated sugar, 1 large egg, 2 teaspoon vanilla
- Add the almond butter until incorporated, then add the dry ingredients in two stages, mixing until completely combined.½ cup almond butter
- Roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and cut out your cookie shapes using the cookie cutters of your choosing! Then place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake cookies for 10-12 minutes.
- The edges of the cookies will be lightly browned - pull the cookies out of the oven. After 2-3 minutes, move the cookies onto a cooling rack until cooled.
- Drizzle melted chocolate on the cooled cookies, add sliced almonds, melted chocolate and finally a touch of flakey sea salt before enjoying!¼ cup dark chocolate, 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, Flakey Sea Salt