An Acai Smoothie Bowl is a quick and delicious treat! Whether it's made for breakfast or a tasty snack, they're made with only a few ingredients, and you can customize the toppings of each bowl to your preference. These bowls take mere seconds to make and they're the perfect way to start off your day.
What is Acai?
Acai, pronounced AH-sigh-EE, is a palm tree that produces berries that are high in nutrients and antioxidants making it a wonderful breakfast or snack. Acaí is a one-inch round berry that comes from the acai palm tree, which is native to the rainforests of both Central and South America. Here's a great video that depicts the palm tree that Acai berries are harvested from, and in this case harvested by Bolivian farmers in the Amazon. The distinct purple colors of Acai berries give them a unique, attractive appearance, making Acai Smoothie bowls a stunning color!
Where Can I Find Acai Berries?
Because the acai berry is incredibly delicate, transporting them from country to country is very difficult. You will most likely find it as a powder, in a capsule, or as an ingredient in a smoothie or juice in your local grocery store. For this recipe, we're using frozen Acai packets that will be located in the frozen fruit section of the supermarket!
How to make a thick Acai smoothie bowl
The main thing to consider when making a great Acai smoothie bowl has got to be consistency! A smoothie bowl is different than your average smoothie in that they are quite thick... in the best of ways! You'll be eating the smoothie bowl likely with a spoon, which is not a problem considering how thick the consistency of the smoothie is.
This means that when you're adding your ingredients into your blender, you want to make sure that your fruit is completely frozen. You also want to make sure your acai packet is ever so slightly thawed. Then, when adding your liquids, do so cautiously making sure to mix in between blending. You can always add more liquid if needed, but of course you can't take it back once it's already been incorporated.
Topping Ideas for Acai Smoothie Bowls
As you can see, I chose a variety of fresh fruit, nuts, seeds, and other toppings to add flavor, texture, and color to the top of my bowls! Here are a few topping ideas to get you started when preparing to make your own bowl:
- Dried Apricots
- Cocoa Powder
- Freeze Dried Fruit Powder
- Unsweetened Coconut
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Cacao Nibs
- Dried Figs
- Chia Seeds
- Sliced Almonds
- Sunflower Seeds
- Activated Charcoal
Storing & Serving Acai Bowls
If sealed in an airtight container, your acai smoothie bowl will last in the fridge for up to 3 days without the toppings. If you were to add the toppings and then store your smoothie bowl in the fridge, the toppings would slowly start to get soggy! Instead, when you're ready to eat your smoothie bowl from the fridge, add your fresh toppings and enjoy!
As always, I love seeing your creations and hearing from you! If you try the recipe for these Acai Smoothie Bowls, please leave a review or share your creation with me on social media! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest - for more delicious recipes sent straight to your inbox, sign up for my newsletter!
Acai Smoothie Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Serving Bowls
- 1 (118 g) Banana , sliced and frozen
- ½ cup (74 g) Blueberries, frozen
- ¼ cup (30 g) Raspberries, frozen
- ¼ cup (36 g) Strawberries, frozen
- 2 Packets (200 g) Frozen Acai Puree , thawed for 5 minutes under warm water
- ¾ cup (183 g) Milk, or dairy free alternative
- ½ cup (122 g) Yogurt, any flavor/preference
- Dried Apricots, Unsweetened Coconut Flakes, Pumpkin Seeds, Bananas, Cacao Nibs, Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, Granola, Sliced Almonds, Blueberries
- Add frozen fruit into your blender along with the slightly thawed frozen acai. Add the milk and yogurt and blend on low, slowly increasing the speed.1 Banana, ½ cup Blueberries, ¼ cup Raspberries, ¼ cup Strawberries, 2 Packets Frozen Acai Puree, ½ cup Yogurt, ¾ cup Milk
- Continue to blend, adding additional milk if needed!
- Divide the smoothie into three bowls and add your preferred toppings before enjoying!Dried Apricots, Unsweetened Coconut Flakes, Pumpkin Seeds, Bananas, Cacao Nibs, Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, Granola, Sliced Almonds, Blueberries