Rich, nutty, and luxurious, this Black Sesame Milk with Matcha Whipped Cream only takes 5 minutes to make before you are in the midst of enjoying each and every sip!
To this day, I still remember the first Moon Cake I experienced during Lunar New Year in Seattle - a perfectly flaky crust filled with black sesame paste, matcha and salted egg yolk in the middle of it all! Absolutely delicious. This recipe is my take on this memory, in beverage form!
Black Sesame Milk with Matcha whipped cream that’s made with Torani’s Puremade Salted Egg Yolk Syrup. Torani Puremade Syrups deliver amazing flavors with the ingredients you love. There are no artificial flavors, no artificial colors, and no artificial preservatives – just pure delicious flavor! Head on over to Torani's website to take a look at their many Puremade Syrup flavors and create a few glasses of refreshing Black Sesame Milk for yourself!
Salted Egg Yolks
The traditional method for making salted egg yolks dates back to the 6th century in China! Whole eggs, raw with the shell still intact, are left to soak in a 15 to 20 percent concentrated salt brine for several weeks. In places like the Philippines and Malaysia, you’ll find these eggs wrapped in a salted paste of clay or ash. Both methods operate under the same principle: With time, the salt penetrates through the porous shell, dissolving the strands of protein called albumin in the whites and solidifying the yolk, drawing out the Parmesan-like umami within!
Here's a great recipe to try making your own at home!
New to using Black Sesame Seeds?
Sesame seeds are small, flat, oily seeds that grow in the fruit pods of the Sesamum indicum plant, and have been cultivated for thousands of years! Not only are they great to turn into milk, but they are great in any dish. If you haven't tried black sesame milk or flavored pastries yet, I highly recommend you do so! Black sesame milk is very easy to make, and the taste is incredible - nutty, rich, and unique!
Other Salted Egg Yolk & Moon Cake Recipes
Take a look at some homemade Moon Cake and salted egg yolk recipes to try from other amazing creators!
- Salted Egg Yolk Sauce
- Salted Egg Yolk Crystal Sago Cakes
- Taro and Salted Egg Yolk Mooncakes
- Matcha Brownie Mooncakes
- Honey Salted Peanut Mooncakes
The only equipment you need to make your Black Sesame Milk with Matcha Whip Cream beverage are:
Use this section as an opportunity to describe lesser-known ingredients and talk about what each one adds to the recipe.
- Black Sesame Seeds: Rich seeds that are full of flavor and ever so nutritious - they also add to the stunning charcoal color of the sesame milk.
- Oat Milk: I chose to use my favorite non-dairy alternative, yet you could certainly use whole milk or your non-dairy preference of choice!
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract is going to be our main flavor addition rather than almond extract. Whether you choose to use vanilla extract or substitute another extract, the replacement is best when it's the highest quality.
- Salted Egg Yolk Syrup: Acting as a flavorful sweetener, this Salted Egg Yolk syrup is all you need to brighten the flavors in this drink!
- Heavy Whipping Cream: If you prefer a non-dairy substitute, I've found that the Silk brand has a fantastic option that I've linked!
- Matcha Powder: Matcha powder is made from ground green tea leaves. Unlike when you drink steeped green tea, you consume the entire tea leaf in a matcha latte. As a result, matcha has approximately 10x more nutrients than regular green tea!
There are only a few simple steps before you have an ice-cold glass of Black Sesame milk in your hands...
- Black Sesame Milk - Add your black sesame seeds, oat milk, vanilla extract and Puremade Torani Salted Egg Yolk Syrup into your blender and blend at high speed for 1 minute. Strain the milk through a nut bag into a bowl and squeeze the remains. Set your finished sesame milk aside for the time being.
- Matcha Whip Cream - Add whipping cream and matcha into a small bowl and whisk until you have reached creamy, soft peaks.
- Assembly - Pour sesame milk over ice and add two dollops of matcha whip cream on top before garnishing with a sprinkling of matcha powder and a few black sesame seeds to serve!
*This post has been sponsored by Torani. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Hi all! I wanted to take a moment and mention that I make sure to research my recipes as best as I can before creating and writing my blog posts. It's incredibly important to me that I represent each culture correctly. If this recipe is from your country and I have made a mistake or you have suggestions for how to make it more authentic, I would love to hear what you have to say/share! It is always my intention to pay homage and respect to each cultural dish that I cook so don't hesitate to leave a comment below with your additions. Thanks so much for reading!
Other iced beverage recipes too try!
- Chocolate Hazelnut & Coffee Milkshake
- Honeyed Hibiscus & Rose Milk Tea
- Roasted Strawberry, Cherry & Rhubarb Lemonade
As always, I love seeing your creations and hearing from you! If you try this recipe, please leave a review or share your creation with me on social media! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube and Pinterest - for more delicious recipes sent straight to your inbox, sign up for my newsletter!
Black Sesame Milk with Matcha Whipped Cream
- Nut bag
- Electric Mixer with whisk attachment
- 2 serving glasses
- ¼ cup Black Sesame Seeds
- 3 cups Oat Milk
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 ounces Salted Egg Yolk Syrup
- ½ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 teaspoon Matcha Powder
- Add your black sesame seeds, oat milk, vanilla extract and Torani Puremade Salted Egg Yolk Syrup into your blender and blend at high speed for 1 minute.¼ cup Black Sesame Seeds, 3 cups Oat Milk, 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract, 2 ounces Salted Egg Yolk Syrup
- Strain the milk through a nut bag into a bowl and squeeze the remains. Set your finished sesame milk aside for the time being.
- Add whipping cream and matcha into a small bowl and whisk until you have reached creamy, soft peaks.½ cup Heavy Whipping Cream, 1 teaspoon Matcha Powder
- To assemble your drink, pour sesame milk over ice and add two dollops of matcha whipped cream on top before garnishing with a sprinkling of matcha powder and a few black sesame seeds to serve!